Saturday, November 12, 2011

Some Days Im Out Of Time... Not This Time


What is real? How do you define real? If you're talking about what you can feel, what you can smell, what you can taste and see, then real is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain.
Im going out on a limb here, but I promise it will come back to the tree trunk eventually...

Perception, basically what we see and experience, in large part determines what we find to be "real". From that, we base our values and opinions and beliefs off of our reality. We all have different and unique viewpoints on many things that are common, and because of this we come to different conclusions with basically the same amount of evidence... different realities of a sort if you will.

So again... What is real?
 
If 100,000 People See Chriss Angel Float Off A Building And Perceive Him To Fly, Is It Still Real?

Maybe what we should really be concerned with is truth. The better question may be, "What is true?" in any given situation. A quick definition of true from the dictionary pulls up things like, "In accordance with fact", and, "Something brought into exact shape, alignment, or position required"... a chasm of difference from what is only "real".

 There is power in knowing truth... the true nature of God, the truths of the gospel, the true capability of the Atonement of Jesus Christ. An understanding of these and other truths can help us react appropriately to struggles in life and act accordingly to the true gospel... to what is true instead of what may just be "real". In John 8:31-32, the verse reads
Then said Jesus to those Jews which believed on him, If ye continue in my word, then are ye my disciples indeed; And ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.

I often bear my testimony. I tell people what I know. I don't know the truth of all things, but I know that God loves His children. I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is true... That it is, "in accordance with fact" that Jesus Christ Himself established over 2000 years ago, restored to the earth through a modern day prophet. I know that it is, "something brought into exact shape, alignment, or position required" to one day bring us into a fullness of joy with our Father in Heaven. I know the gospel is true, and that living its precepts brings happiness and fulfillment. I know this... and it is true.

Would you like to know if it was true or not too?

No comments:

Post a Comment