Friday, April 1, 2011

Where Your Treasure Is...

Willy Wonka, the renowned chocolate maker extraordinaire, is famous for things other then his creative recipes and his purple suit. He is also very well read, and often his wonderful quotes with his biting humor come at exactly the perfect time for any situation, giving a wonderfully fitting anecdote or snippet.
How Could You NOT Trust That Face?
One of the best places where that humor shines through is in one of my favorite quotes of all time, the one that is provoked by the little girl who wants everything and wants it right then and there. To her falling down the garbage chute after a wild and ferocious temper tantrum (that of course could be conveyed in no better way then through singing and slight comical violence against Oompa Loompa's), Willy Wonka muses, 
Where is fancy bred? In the heart or in the head?
He is merely commenting on her insatiable appetite for all things pertaining to her, but the Shakespearean quote raises some interesting questions: Where exactly do our fancies come from? Whats the difference between these fancies and things we really love? What do we put true value in?

But of course, even Shakespeare or Willy Wonka have their superiors. Jesus Christ talked of these things repeatedly, to the rich young man who was asked to give all he had to seek the kingdom of god, in the parable of the widow with her mite, and even the story of the Good Samaritan places emphasis on what is really more important in life.


For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.
What we treasure in our lives can be measured with time spent. The more time we willingly spend with something, the more we must love it. It shows where our priorities are when we pick and choose one thing over another. I know that I'm pretty much the worst when it comes to actually putting in that time with the things I really care about and showing where my love and treasure and heart truly lie, but remembering this brief scripture in Matthew 6 always gives me that perspective I need to get out of my funk and just show my love through my actions.

Shout out to my family, love you much! Shout out to my friends, love you much as well!  And in a way I want to give a shout out to the Lord, as I'm trying to show you him how much I love him and the people I'm serving with my time spent here in Tennessee!

No comments:

Post a Comment