Monday, January 23, 2012

Learn A New Language?

I have a confession to make: I only know just enough French to pretend that I know what I am talking about. Put me with someone who actually does speak the lingo, and I get exposed pretty dang quickly. Sure, I can get the gist of what someone says, I can tell you a short story involving what a cat is doing, and I can even sing you a song or two... but no, I don't actually speak it.

Je Te Plumerai!

By that same token, does it make sense to say that prayer is a language all of its own?

Sure, maybe you can speak a few words of it to fool someone else into thinking you know what you're doing... Sure, perhaps you can understand a few of the concepts you receive back through your communication with God... But can you speak it fluently? Can you really carry on that conversation with God?

I have realized with my experience of trying to learn French, that you get pretty frustrated rather quickly if you don't pick it up as quickly as you would like. It takes practice and a desire to make it happen, and often times quite simply it takes TIME. If it doesn't work the first time, that doesn't mean you should drop it and give up trying to learn it anymore than it makes sense to give up learning a new language at first.


Don't Give Up!
As we take little steps to draw nigh unto God, He will draw nigh unto us. As we grow in our understanding and ability to communicate through the sacred language of prayer, He will help us as we progress and grow in our fluency. Slowly but surely, we can expand our understanding of all things. As we visit with God more and more, we can all experience that spiritually fulfilling peace that comes with Prayer.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks, Elder Donohue! Great post. I hadn't thought of it in those terms before, but you are so right!

    ReplyDelete